Quilters of a Feather Do Not Flock Together

              The whole theory of birds of a feather flock together does not necessarily hold true for quilting.  While a group of people may all be attracted to the same fabric line, pattern, or quilting technique, they won’t all use it in the same way.  Each person will have their own twist to it, whether they realize it or not.  The twist could be something as small as how they sewed the pieces together or which way they ironed their seams.  In either case, each quilt ends up different or unique, whether anyone realizes it or not.
Backsplash
                Being attracted to the same kinds of things is only one type of quilting group, though.  There is also the type of group that I am part of, where no two quilters are at all alike.  I don’t think my friends and I would ever do things even close to the same.  Mostly that’s because we’re all attracted to something different.  While I am perfectly happy sticking with my squares and the rare triangle thrown in (someday I might try an octagon), Katie, as I mentioned before, concentrates primarily on McKenna Ryan applique projects.  How she has the patience for all those tiny little pieces, I have zero idea.  My friend Jen, on the other hand, while she does do straight piecing like I do, she also does paper piecing and works with hexagons.  Again, something I have never touched, nor do I intend to.  It looks like it takes far more patience than I possess.
                My point is, that with so many different ways to approach quilting, there isn’t really a wrong way to be a quilter.  Nor do you have to have friends who are quilters like you.  While I may not do what my friends do, I appreciate how they each approach the craft of quilting.  It does not matter at all that we come from different quilting directions.  We’re friends anyways.            

Comments

Popular Posts