Thread Philosophy

            My mother and I have different philosophies when it comes to thread.  She is very good about matching the thread color as close as possible to the fabric she is sewing.  If it’s green fabric, she’ll use green thread.  If it’s red fabric, she’ll use red.  We even have orange thread hanging out from one of her past projects.  I, on the other hand, am more lenient with what thread I use.  For the most part, I will use whatever is already threaded in the machine. 
Thread
                There are some exceptions to this, though.  If I’m sewing with black or light fabrics, I don’t tend to use the opposite out of concern that the thread may somehow show through.  This is especially true for light fabrics.  I will even try to stay away from bold colors like red and green in order to be on the safe side.  I won’t however, worry about what shade of white, gray, or beige is in the machine.  With light fabrics, whichever one of those is in the machine works for me.
                When working with black fabric I’m even more flexible.  Sometimes I will sew black fabric with a light color, if it is lighter color fabrics that I am attaching the black fabric to.  Otherwise, despite usually trying to stick with black thread, I’ll use pretty much whatever is in the machine.  If it’s a deep red or green, that works too.           

Comments

Popular Posts