Spring is Coming … Maybe

    The snow is starting to melt.  The mounds that make it difficult to get out of our garage and down the street will lessen.  How fast is anyone’s guess.  It is only February.  The temperature can drop in an instant.  Or inches of snow can suddenly fall.  Where I live, it’s not impossible to have a snowstorm in April, or possibly May.  It’s just the way of life.

    That does not mean we do not get tired of snow.  At the moment, in my neighborhood, we’re not sure where to put it.  Yes, the snow may be starting to melt, but slowly.  Another storm would mean our mounds get piled higher and we start all over again.  Many days I have come in from shoveling, exhausted and with no desire to do much of anything.  Especially not sewing.  After spending an hour or more (one day was three) shoveling, standing and ironing, or sitting and sewing does not have much of an appeal.  Instead, I would rather take some time to just be, as it is not easy throwing more snow onto mounds already as tall as myself.

    From the sound of it, it probably seems I do not like snow.  That is not the case.  It is beautiful as it falls.  I love the trees coated in snow.  While I’m sewing, I watch it fill up the sidewalks and cover the rooftops.  Once outside, I get excited about the little animal prints the local wildlife has left behind.  And, for the most part, I don’t mind shoveling.

    Okay, the three-hour day was too much, but otherwise, I don’t see shoveling as a bad task.  The downside is I don’t feel like doing much else once I do it.  This can push my To-Do list back and I don’t get as much accomplished as I would like.  Including working on my quilts.  That’s why some days I make myself sew anyways, and other days I give myself a break.

    I do this even on days when I’m not shoveling.  Sometimes, as I’m sure everyone has experienced, you just don’t want to do things.  Some days it is best to get at least a little something done.  Make some sort of progress.  Other days it is for the best to stay away because mistakes will be made. 

    Just make sure to not stay away too long because nothing will get done.  And after a while, not even shoveling can be used as an excuse.

Comments

Popular Posts