Serendipity

    Sometimes things happen for a reason. What that reason is, is often the question. Why was I supposed to be at this place at this time? Why was I supposed to meet this person? We don’t always receive answers to those questions. But there are moments in life that feel meant to be.

    My mom and I weren’t supposed to go to the library that day. It wasn’t part of our plan. But then our day hadn’t gone according to plan anyways. Our initial thoughts of how we were to spend the day didn’t work out. That’s why when the thought of going to the library came up, we decided to go.

    On the way, we almost turned around. We saw a delivery a truck, and fully expected the package we were waiting for to be on it. The idea of going home to be there when the package arrived seemed like a good one. Only, once we thought about it, we realized the truck probably had many more stops before reaching the house. We would most likely be back long before it ever reached our street.

    So, on we went to the library, where we started talking to a dog. We then talked to the owner who asked us about the masks we wore. She wondered if we were quilters. It turned out she was a quilter too!

    For quite some time the three of us stood outside of the library talking about quilting. On and on we talked, simply enjoying a conversation with someone who had a common interest. Even after I was stung by I bee, I was reluctant to put the conversation to an end.

    Eventually the conversation came to a natural conclusion. We went our separate ways, happy to have met someone new. Now, do I know if either one of us will ever see this woman again? No, I don’t. I can certainly hope I do. But until that happens, I can keep with me the conversation we had with someone we may never had met, had we not decided to go to the library. A conversation that seems harder and harder to come by in this time of keeping our distance.

    To me, this conversation was meant to happen. For what reason, I don’t fully know. But I feel, with so many things that could have prevented us from running into this woman, meeting her was meant to be.

Comments

Popular Posts