A Change of Pace

    My new cell phone needed a cover. But if you have looked at the cost of cell phone covers lately, they are not exactly inexpensive. No $5 covers where I looked. Which means I had to make me own.

    This was fine with me. It wasn’t as though I hadn’t done this sort of thing before. Last year for Mother’s Day, I drew up a plan for a wallet and then sewed it together. I figured a cell phone cover couldn’t be that much different of a process.

    And it wasn’t. Of course, my first cover didn’t come out exactly as planned. It was too tight for my phone, but perfect for glasses. I tweaked my measurements, and the case came out better. But still not as well as I would have liked.

    My stitching was the problem this time. I had the space if I changed where I stitched. This alteration ended up being a really good thing.

    As I undid the stitches, I realized I could change the design. If I left one side stitched only partway, I could fold the fabric over and see what notification I had without taking the phone out of the case at all. My previous design I would have to a little bit. Also, when the phone was on its stand, I could fold the top of the case down, leaving the notification part of the screen revealed, yet still in its case to easily grab for when I’m on the go. Only when I’m actually using the phone do I have to take it out of the case.

    Once I had the pattern down, I made a case for my mom. I also made a wallet for myself as I needed the purse-room for my phone. None of these projects took me overly long. And since long for me is over one hour, that’s saying something.

    While I cannot say my sewing is perfect on any of these projects, I am proud of what I have created. They let me use my mind in a new creative way. Something I am always looking to do.

Comments

Popular Posts