My First Ever Quilt

I’m trying something new with this blog. Instead of having each post being about my quilting, I’m going to interview other quilters about their experiences with quilts and quilting. I will then tell their stories here. So far, I have already sent questions to two people, but before I interview them, I figure it fair I share one of my stories first.

An adventure in hand-sewing

I have told the story many times about how I didn’t begin quilting until after college. Which is true. But those quilts were not my first quilts.

My actual first quilt was created when I was five or six years old. 

Let me tell you, I am using the word “created” very loosely. The quilt was never finished. Never even got close to being finished. That is because I was hand sewing it.

For some reason, even though I saw my mom use a sewing machine, I decided to hand sew a quilt. Maybe I got the idea from a book. I don’t know. But at about five years old I set out to make my first quilt by hand stitching squares together. This project did not last long.

It was a long and tedious process sewing together the few sets of squares I did manage to actually sew. And I did try for more than one day, but my attention did not hold. Now that I think about it, maybe that’s where my inability to sew for long periods of time started.

The pieces were put back into my mom’s sewing basket and remained hidden there for years. I know because I came across them one day a long time ago. Where they are now, or even where that sewing basket is, I have no idea. It has all been lost in my ever-growing pile of quilt projects.

Comments

Popular Posts