Open Space – Star Wars Quilt: Episode I

The making of my first Star Wars quilt with my Kate’s Kwilt Studio Open Space pattern.

Pink and white quilt. A miniature test quilt of the Kate's Kwilt Studio quilt pattern Open Space.
Open Space - Miniature Test Quilt

I thought Open Space was going to be a hard quilt to put together. Other than doing an entire section upside down, it was a lot easier to assemble than I thought. With this complete, I was onto the full-size version.

An assortment of different Star Wars fabric and a bolt of fabric for sashing.
Star Wars fabric - Camelot Fabrics
Bolt of fabric - Northcott Fabrics

We had been collecting Star Wars fabric for years. With the Open Space miniature test quilt done, it was time to finally make the Star Wars quilt.

A piece of fabric featuring the Star Wars Death Star
Death Star fabric - Camelot Fabrics

Some of the Star Wars fabric definitely needed to be fussy cut.

A layered pile of Star Wars fabric.
Star Wars fabric - Camelot Fabrics

Fussy cutting every single piece wasn’t easy. The results were worth it, though.

The thing is, because the pieces were so large, I was not fussy cutting nearly as much as I could have been.

Strips of fabric for sashing.
Sashing fabric - Northcott Fabrics

I used an ombre fabric for the sashing. With so many different lengths of sashing, I was excited to see how the quilt would turn out.

A long piece of sashing fabric.
Sashing fabric - Northcott fabrics

A 22-1/2” piece of sashing was needed in and between the blocks. The blocks I made for this pattern are that big.

Blocks laid on the floor made from Star Wars fabric.
Open Space - Star Wars Quilt - Quilt blocks

It didn’t take too long for me to near the end of my first Star Wars quilt (three are planned). All the blocks were done. Attaching the sashing was all I had left to do before the quilt top was complete.

A quilt top made from Star Wars fabric.
Open Space - Star Wars Quilt: Episode I

The first Star Wars quilt top is done! One down, two to go.

Comments

Popular Posts