Applique. Mmmm, No.

           Another solution for my complicated designs could be applique.  Instead of figuring out how to make the designs into a block, all I would have to do is figure out how to put my images on a block.  I would still be turning my designs into a quilt, just in a different way than I had originally intended. 
As plausible of an idea as that is, I don’t think that will be happening.  That’s because while applique could be a good solution, applique itself takes far more patience and joy of sewing than I have.  I know this, because even when I come across an applique project I’m interested in, I turn it down. 
Don't Forget the Mortar
This happened one time when I was still working at a quilt shop.  My friend Katie and I were flipping through a book of projects that I believe were scheduled to come out the next season.  We came across these beautiful pictures of animals.  Pictures that I would have loved to turn into a quilt.  Unfortunately for me, the animals were not fabric.  They were applique projects.
Immediately I knew, that no matter how much I liked these animal appliques, I would never do them.  I would lose patience at the first cut. 
In fact, pretty much everyone I worked with knew applique was not my thing, so we joked that Katie, who likes to do McKenna Ryan’s applique quilts, would have to put these animal appliques together for me.
So, you can see, that while turning my too complicated designs into applique would be a good solution, the likelihood of it happening is slim.  Applique and me, I highly doubt that combination will ever happen.  But then, you never know. 

Comments

Popular Posts