Easier Said Than Done

                 I’m not saying I never worry about people liking my quilts.  The thought does cross my mind that maybe others won’t like what I’m doing, and that maybe they won’t want to try it for themselves.  As a quilt pattern designer, that is always a concern.  I don’t, however, let these thoughts hold me back.  When I’m designing, if something feels right to me, I’m going to do it.  Since I’m the one creating the quilt, I feel it’s important that I like the quilt first.  It would be very hard for me to stand behind a quilt that I did not like myself.    
Birthday Surprise
                When it comes to making a quilt as a gift, the situation is a little different.  That’s because when I’m creating a quilt for a gift, the quilt is not meant for me, and I’m usually working with someone else.  My mother, to be exact.  As we work together, she tends to do the worrying while I take the hard line.  I tell her we’ll take the quilt back if the receiver doesn’t like it.  Thankfully, we have never had to do that.
              While our quilts over the years have been met with different degrees of appreciation and enthusiasm, I have never felt that any of the receivers have been truly disappointed or disliked what was made. I have heard stories of that happening, though. When I do, I feel sad. Whoever made the quilt took a great deal of time to do so. From the planning, to the sewing, to the anxiety over whether or not the receiver will like it, making a quilt takes a lot of effort and energy. To then have the receiver’s disappointment over what has been given be the only reward, I can only imagine how devastating that would be for a person. I also imagine it would make it really hard to sew a quilt for anyone else ever again.

Comments

Popular Posts