Quilting for Yourself vs. Someone Else

                 Talking about making quilts for yourself brings me to a question.  Do you ever make quilts for yourself, or are they always for someone else?  There isn’t a right or wrong answer to this question.  I am simply curious.  Everyone approaches quilting in a different way and for a different reason.  It would be interesting to hear what yours is.
Don't Forget the Mortar
          For my mother and me, what happens to the quilts we make is a bit of a mix.  Earlier I spoke about how my mother’s quilts nearly always go to charity.  The others are gifts.  Rarely does she make one for herself.
        I, also, rarely make a quilt for myself.  When I’m not wrapped up making my models, I’m usually helping my mother with the gift quilts.  The rare times when I do make a quilt for my own personal use, it is because I need a break from my own designs.  Then, more often than not, the quilt I make is with the same pattern (not my own) that I have done many times before.  Knowing the pattern so well gives me a nice break from worrying about how my own designs will turn out.  Putting an unexpected back on the quilt makes it even more fun. 
              Some may think that my taking time to make a quilt for myself is selfish. One day someone even implied as such. I don’t see how that can be. We all have to take care of ourselves as much as we do others. If that means making yourself a quilt, then so be it. After all, if you don’t make a quilt for yourself, who will?

Comments

Popular Posts